Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Edmonton, Spruce Grove, St. Albert, and the Surrounding Area
BJJ is more than just a sport
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, or BJJ for short, is a grappling art, a standard for self-defense, and a popularized component of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). Historically, BJJ originated in Japan, where Jiu-Jitsu served as the unarmed combat system for the Samurai, which later evolved into Kodokan Judo (also known as Kano Jiu-Jitsu) under founder Kano Jigoro in the 1880’s. Kano’s top student, Mitsuyo Maeda was responsible for bringing Jiu-Jitsu to Brazil in 1914 and introducing it to the Gracie family. Helio Gracie was the founder of the Brazilian style of Jiu-Jitsu, which is today the most widely practiced form. A naturally small and frail man (5’8”, 140lbs), Helio was responsible for modifying the techniques taught to him by Maeda into a system that relied less on physicality, and thus enabling a smaller person to defeat a bigger, stronger opponent by using leverage, takedowns, and BJJ techniques.
Today, modern BJJ exists not only as a self-defense system, but also as a sport, in addition to being an essential component to MMA. The UFC was designed in 1993 specifically to test the efficacy of all the martial arts when pitted against one another, and it was BJJ that dominated the early tournament-style fights. Jiu-Jitsu is a complete workout that combines cardiovascular and muscular endurance fitness training with movements that incorporate functional strength and balance. Members understand the importance of getting in shape and learning how to defend themselves, bringing newfound confidence and discipline while training in a fun, family-friendly environment. Challenge yourself as you rise in the ranks from white to black belt!
Our programs are catered to beginners, intermediate, and advanced students, from children over the age of 4 to adults after 40. Classes include basic fundamental learning, drills, sparring, gi and no gi training, and competition.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu programs are available for:
- <a href="http://Little Grapplers Program – Children Ages 4 to 6
- Children’s Program – Ages 7 to 12
- Adults Program – Ages 13 and up
The Rodrigo Resende Academy is one of the top BJJ schools in Alberta and in Canada for many reasons:
- As one of the highest ranking BJJ instructors in Alberta, Professor Rodrigo Resende is a 3rd degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and national champion, with 23 years of practice and 11 years of teaching experience
- Our team of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt instructors are experienced national competitors that want you and your family to succeed
- Training is hosted in the largest BJJ facility in Canada
- Membership includes unlimited access to all martial arts classes (BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, and Self Defense) and a weightlifting gym – for one low monthly cost. Ask us today!
Your membership includes access to all of our martial arts programs, including: